IAP 2023 Course 15.393 - Nuts and Bolts of New Ventures
Purpose of Course
The nuts and bolts of preparing a New Venture Plan and launching the venture will be explored in this 34th annual course offering. The course is open to members of the M.I.T. Community and to others interested in entrepreneurship. It is particularly recommended for persons who are interested in starting or are involved in a new business or venture. Because some of the speakers will be judges of the MIT $100K Entrepreneurship Competition, persons who are planning to enter the Competition should find the course particularly useful. Pre-registration is required for Credit or to Listen. In the past approximately 50% of the class has been from MIT Engineering,Science and Architecture Schools and 50% from the Sloan School of Management. Topics covered are applicable to for-profit as well as social and development ventures. The course is open on a space available basis to persons outside the M.I.T. community. We typically have around 150 students registered for the course with another 100 to 150 additional participants from other colleges, businesses, non-profit and government organizations.
Dates, Times and Locations:
Session 1: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Introduction to New Ventures;
Marketing and Sales: Finding Your Customer
Session 2: Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Organizational and People Issues
Session 3: Thursday, January 26, 2023
Session 4: Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Presenting Your Venture;
Session 5: Wednesday, February 1, 2023
Financing Sources Panel
Session 6: Thursday, February 2, 2023
Pitfalls and Plan Execution
- Class Time: 6:00pm to 9:00pm Eastern Time
- Note: We have a lot to cover in the course and intend to start each session promptly. Our first order of business will involve logistics, schedule adjustments, etc. Please be on time or you may miss important information.
- Classes meet in:
- MIT students may take this course for 3 units of Pass/Fail Credit.
- Attendance at each session is required
(unless otherwise approved) and the writing requirement must be fulfilled.
- To obtain credit you also must officially register for the course with the MIT Registar's office. In addition also be sure to sign up for the course email list in order to obtain the latest course information.