The Course Reader is available to registered students on the "Materials" tab at the MIT Learning Modules website for the class. The reader includes the actual full business plan for Virtual Ink, a MIT $50K entrant which went on to launch its Mimio product which captures whiteboard drawings electronically. This Business Plan will be used throughout the course to illustrate concepts. Course Materials listed below without links are included in the Course Reader.
Session 1 - Part 1: Introduction to New Ventures
Session 1 - Part 2: Marketing and Sales: Finding Your Customer
- Moore, Geoffrey A., Crossing the Chasm, Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers, HarperBusiness 1991, Chapters 1 and 2. See, Course Reader. See also, YouTube at BigData Conference.
- Review the market and technology sections of the Virtual Ink Plan.
Session 2 - Part 1: Business Models
- Christensen, Clayton and Raynor, Michael, The Innovator's Solution, Harvard Business School Press, Chapter 2 "How Can We Beat Our Most Powerful Competitors" See, Course Reader.
- Although it is not included in the Course Reader, we recommend the book Business Model Generation as a useful framework for thinking about Business Models. For the class please review:
Session 2 - Part 2: Organizational and People Issues
Timmons, Jeffrey A., New Venture Creation- Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century, Chapter 7 "The New Venture Team". See, Course Reader.
Session 3 - Part 1: Founder's Journey at MIT
Read the "Surprising facts from "The Founder's Dilemmas" in the Course Reader The full article is at The Founder's Dilemna, HBR Article by Noam Wasserman.
Session 3 - Part 2: Legal Issues
Session 4 - Part 1: Presenting Your Venture
Session 4 - Part 2: Negotiation Skills
There are no assigned readings for this Session.
Session 5 - Part 1: Financing Sources Panel
Session 5 - Part 2: Financial Projections
- Chapter 10, "Figuring Out Financials" and Chapter 11, "Forecasting and Budgeting" from Tiffany, Paul and Peterson, Steven, Business Plans for Dummies, IDG Books Worldwide, Inc. 1997. See, Course Reader.
- Review the financial projections in the Virtual Ink plan.
- Download a copy of the Financial Template shown in the lecture.
- Download a copy of the Equity Distribution and Dilution spreadsheet shown in the lecture.
Presentation materials from speakers will be available on-line on the
MIT Learning Modules
following each presentation. The Web Site will also have other materials
and references. Please use email@example.com
Complete Virtual Ink Business Plan 8.1.97