Financing Sources Panel;
Wednesday, January 31, 2018
6:00pm to 9:00pm, Room: 10-250
Part 1: Financing Sources Panel
You have identified the product/service and the market. You have settled on a business model and have done your financial projections. How will you finance the plan?
This session will cover: Bootstrapping the early stages. Funding from the 3 F's- Friends, Family and Fools. Angels- who are they and what are they looking for? Private placements. Customer financing. Consulting- getting someone else to pay for the development, provide a beta site and endorse your idea. Venture capital. Bank financing.
You will learn about the institutional constraints and needs of various funding sources. As a result you will be in a better position to determine if, when and how to approach these sources for financing.
This part of the program will feature a panel of experts discussing different financing sources. The January 2018 IAP panel members are:
- Gaye Bok, Venture Partner at Excel Venture Management, LLC
- Barbara Clarke, Founding Principal of The Impact Seat / Angel Investor
- Julia Kline, Chief Operations Officer and Counsel at Unprescribed.com
Experienced Technology Innovator and Investor
Read her bio here.
Part 2: Financial Projections
Armed with an understanding of the market for your products how do you figure out what financial resources you will need to bring a product to that market? This portion of the program will introduce some financial projection techniques based on actual business experience.
- Chapter 10, "Figuring Out Financials" and Chapter 11, "Forecasting and Budgeting" from Tiffany, Paul and Peterson, Steven, Business Plans for Dummies, IDG Books Worldwide, Inc. 1997. See, Course Reader.
- Review the financial projections in the Virtual Ink plan.
- Download a copy of the Financial Template to be shown in the lecture.